Vita is an innovative and award-winning Irish development agency with a mission to enable thriving rural economies in Africa. More details on www.VitaImpact.org. Vita is expanding cutting edge programmes in Ethiopia and Eritrea with innovative financing, such as the Green Impact Fund and Seed Potato Enterprise. We are looking to recruit a dynamic, experienced values-driven professional to guide these exciting initiatives. This exceptional career opportunity will suit someone with international development and business experience and a passion for social justice.
Summary of Role
Based in Vita’s office in Dublin, the Chief Operating Officer will manage programme operations in Ethiopia, Eritrea and a proposed third programme country, as well as manage operational support in the Global North. The COO will report to and work closely with the Vita CEO and play a central role in executing the company’s strategic plans, objectives, and initiatives. The new COO will strengthen management bench strength across all organisational functions and support management succession. The role will address business efficiency and development and resource mobilisation in Vita’s currently registered charitable operations in Ireland, UK, USA and globally.
General Description of the Role
Overall, the COO will play a crucial role in translating the company’s vision and strategy into actionable plans aligned to the strategy. The COO will work alongside the management team and Board of Directors but with specific responsibility for overseeing daily operations and ensuring that business goals are met. The role will include:
Programme Management: Providing guidance and support for the programme teams in Ireland and programme countries to deliver impact and accountability, while promoting team wellbeing.
Operations Management: Supervising and optimizing day-to-day programmes and operations to ensure impact, value for money, productivity, and programme quality. Developing agreements for service and funding provision. Cross-departmental coordination and communication
Resource Allocation: Working closely with the Head of Finance and Governance to manage programme and operational resources effectively, including budget management and process efficiency.
Resource Mobilisation: Working closely with the Head of Fundraising and Communications to ensure that programmes are supported with requisite funding, expertise and communications.
Organizational Development: Development of systems and practices, talent management, structure, culture and planning for future, human resource development, performance management
Business Development: Supporting Vita operations in UK and USA to enhance resource mobilisation and partnerships. Support CEO with development of carbon finance partnerships such as the Vita Green Impact Fund as well as seed potato enterprise and other strategic initiatives.
Leadership and Team Management: Building and leading high-performing teams, providing guidance, mentorship, and direction to line reports, using a performance management system.
Stakeholder Management: Building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, partners, clients, and vendors, while prepared to handle any unforeseen challenge.
The role requires an experienced and effective leader, with strong multi-disciplinary and multi-tasking skills. Attributes should include:
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Officer or similar relevant role
- Experience in Not for Profit / Charity Sector
- Deep understanding of the development landscape and NGO programming, with project management experience
- Demonstrable experience of formulating and implementing development projects
- Understanding of business functions and experience of identifying and implementing business change with aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Proven organisational and leadership including management of a dispersed operational staff, with emotional intelligence to supporting them to deliver for the organisation
- Driven, energetic and energising in personal style
- Previous experience in IT and managing/upgrading IT software and hardware.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
Education Level Expected:
- Degree Level qualification essential with MSc/MBA a plus, particularly in relevant areas such as development or business administration
Application letter and CV to email@example.com by COB 14th Feb.